STATEMENT RE CHURCH REOPENING
The date set by Government for the reopening of churches is June 29th. For churches to open a lot of work has to be done at local level which will necessitate a large number of volunteers. The parish Pastoral Council met during the week and after discussing what is involved in reopening made the following decisions in order to minimise the risk of infection to those attending ceremonies and all volunteers.
- A webcam will be installed in St Cronan’s church. This will enable older people and people with underlying health issues to watch Mass within the parish from their own homes. Family members will be encouraged to bring them Holy Communion.
- Mass will be celebrated in St Cronan’s on Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Mass will not be celebrated in St. Anne’s initially. St Cronan’s will facilitate larger numbers which will enable more people to attend and allow volunteers focus on one church for the time being and get it ‘right’. This will be a temporary measure.
- The Masses on Friday and Saturday evenings will cover the intentions booked for St. Anne’s and volunteers from the Belcarra/Clogher areas will be asked to take responsibility for these two days.
- Funerals, from the Belcarra area should they arise will take place in St Anne’s (unless the family want webcam)
- Fr Denis will be celebrating Mass in Mayo Abbey on Thursday evening and Sunday morning (10am). Facefield will not have Mass for the moment.
- Ceremonies will only commence if sufficient numbers of volunteers from all areas of the parish come forward. Those who are under 70 and have no underlying health issues are asked to volunteer NOW to act as stewards or to help with by giving your name to Fr Denis or any Pastoral Council member so that we can move on to the next stage of planning Thanks to those who have already done so.
- Confirmation/Communion ceremonies will be arranged when it is practical to do so and provided that we have sufficient volunteers to help with the ceremonies.
Fr Denis will celebrate Mass tomorrow at 10.30 am in the Church of the Holy Rosary, Castlebar to remember the intentions of all the people of Balla, Belcarra, Manulla, Clogher and Mayo Abbey and beyond. He will especially remember those who are suffering because of Covid-19 and all the wonderful frontline staff, volunteers and people working in essential services e.g. shops etc.
You can join in his ceremony at 10.30 am using the link here.
In these extraordinary times when we cannot gather for Mass, we would encourage you to download from and print out this prayer booklet for use at home. Click on this link.
Perhaps consider printing off some copies to pass on to people who may not have internet access.
While you can pray this at any time, a good time to do so would be at the time Mass is normally celebrated in your local parish.
This prayer booklet has been prepared by the Diocese of Clonfert and the Diocese of Elphin specifically for this time we find ourselves in. We are very grateful to them for allowing us to share it.
We continue to keep each other in prayer during this time. Please remember to take care of yourself, your family and loved ones and follow the advice of the HSE.